Phone Email
phonedrop-down-arrowsearchtwitterofsted explore-more-mouse emailceopceoptranslateshield
School Logo

Redhill Primary School

Together we dream, believe and achieve


What types of SEND are provided for?

SEND stands for Special Educational Needs and/or Disability.


The Code of Practice 2015 states that: ‘A student has SEND where their learning difficulty or disability calls for special educational provision, that is different from or additional to that normally available to Children and Young People of the same age.’


Many children will have special educational needs of some kind during their time in education. Schools and other organisations can help most children overcome the barriers their difficulties present quickly and easily. A few children will need extra help for some or all of their time in school.


If required, your child will receive either Targeted School Support or Specialist SEN Support:

  • Targeted School Support is the first stage of the SEN graduated, response process, and the adaptations/additions that are made internally (within school).  The child’s class teacher will write a MEP/IEP for your child and review it regularly.
  • Specialist SEN Support is required when Targeted School Support is not sufficiently meeting your child’s needs. The decision to move a child to Specialist SEN support will be made in collaboration with adults working closely with the child and parents/carers. Specialist Support does not mean that the child will be accessing specialist provision. It means that the school SENCO has made the decision to involve external agencies. This will happen in addition to what is available at Targeted School Support.